Friday, July 17, 2009

Consults x 3

Sorry for the lack of new posts here, I just didn't have any new news! On July 15th however, I headed off to Toronto General Hospital for my next three appointments.

9:30am This was my medical consultation with a doctor not affiliated with the transplant program. I was really expecting a gruelling head to toe physical , which was not the case! The doctor was great, he went over a bunch of my paper work and asked me lots of questions. He checked my blood pressure, asked about the medications I was on and just generally poked around. Turns out everything was good and he didn't see any problems. Now, I should mention there was a problem with my blood pressure reading, he checked it a few times but the reading was still off. I think there was a problem with the machine itself but I promised him I would get it checked. He wished me well and sent me on my way. Total time about an hour and a half.

12:00pm Up to the 8th floor for a psychiatric consult! Now, all along I really had no idea what to expect at this meeting, so to be honest, I was kind of nervous before I went in. Turns out this doctor quickly put me at ease and we had a great little chat! She asked lots of questions, mostly about my decision to donate. Everything she asked me had no right or wrong answers, it's kind of weird and hard to explain......I left her office feeling pretty good!

1:30pm My last appointment on this day was with one of the transplant doctors. To my surprise, she was waiting for me at the reception counter. Super nice doctor too! She went over my previous tests with me, checked out my abdomen and explained once again, in too much detail, what the procedure involved and what I could expect in the days leading up to, and after the donation. At one point in the meeting, this doctor was called away for a few minutes by my transplant coordinator to check on another patient, so she stayed with me and we chatted for a bit. I voiced my concern again about the 'fatty deposits' that turned up on my abdominal ultrasound. Surprisingly, she didn't seem all that concerned and convinced me not to worry. End result is they will do a liver biopsy to find out for sure. Also, they have added my MRI to be reviewed again on Tuesday to assess right vs left lobe donation. When the doctor came back in, she talked a bit about my medical history and noticed that I was never vaccinated for Hepatitis 'B'. Wow! She also gave me a prescription for something to help me with a sinus infection that I was having trouble with. She made some notes and I was assured more tests would be booked and that so far, everything is good and I'm still very much a candidate. As I left the office, I let out a huge sigh of relief, there is light at the end of this tunnel!

No comments: