Saturday, October 17, 2009

One Month Follow-Up

Well, my 1 month follow-up appointment was uneventful. So uneventful I wasn't even able to drop by the Lindt Chocolate factory for any treats 'cause I was running kind of late! My first stop was for blood tests. Once I registered at the lab, I only had a short wait until they called me in. The tech that did greeted me was one I had never seen before. Actually, I didn't recognize any of the techs in the whole department this day! Still, the lady was nice enough and she only took 3 vials..in & out in less than 10 minutes!

With blood work finished, I had about 2 hours to kill before my surgical consult so I headed to the Transplant Office to visit with Cailin. Turns out, she wasn't in the office so I watched 'The Gods Must Be Crazy' on my I-touch thingy in the waiting room till she came back. Now, as much as I enjoy just visiting with the sweet angel Cailin, I also needed her to fill out a package of forms for my work benefits. Once she came back to the office, I gave her the forms and we had a great little visit. One thing to note here is the Transplant Office isn't some dark and dingy place filled with emotionless robotic workers...it's a friendly place! Not only that, but they work miracles here.

Before I left, I tried to get a picture of Cailin for the blog. This is the best I could get though. Cailin is a pro at avoiding the camera!



Bryan on the other hand, is not camera shy.




My meeting with the surgeon was at 2:00 pm, so a quick dash to the 10th floor where I was ushered into an examination room. My surgeon was Dr. Cattral and to be honest, today was the first day I actually met him! I think I might have seen him in the recovery room on floor 7, but at that time I was in a drug induced haze and remember very little. In any case, he greeted me and asked me some questions about how I felt, how I was healing and how I thought everything went. He gave my incision the once over and told me everything was progressing really good. I didn't really have any questions for him apart from some general 'back-to-my-old-self' queries. All in all, this meeting lasted less than 20 minutes and I was on my way home again. My next round of follow-ups will be my 3 month check-up and that isn't until December 3rd.

Once I got home, I felt something wet against my shirt. Once I checked it out, I noticed my incision was leaking a little at the very bottom. Nothing too serious I hope...just need to keep an eye on it. When I got up Friday morning, my shirt was sticking to the incision site at the bottom and it hurt! I cleaned it up and bathed it in Ozonol and went about my day. Friday night I woke up around midnight because my shirt felt wet in one spot and again, the incision is weeping near the bottom. Looking at it today however, it isn't so bad. Maybe I slept on it funny. In any case, I'll keep an eye on it.

No comments: